site header

Match Report: Luton Town Ladies 0-0 Enfield Town Ladies

By Leon Waite

07 November 2017 08:43

Luton Town Ladies were held to a frustrating 0-0 draw with Enfield Town Ladies on Sunday.

It was a first fixture at Stockwood Park for over a month for Nikki Baker’s side and- despite it being a rather dour affair- they certainly created enough chances to secure the three points on a wintry Bedfordshire afternoon.

Milton Keynes Dons Ladies completed the double over the Hatters with a 2-1 success last weekend and Luton were looking to exact a similar fate on their North-London opponents after winning the reverse fixture 2-1 back in August.

And they dominated the early exchanges as Jess Mckay came close on two occasions. First when she found space to the left of the penalty area before delaying her shot, cutting inside and sending the ball tamely into the goalkeeper.

Then she threatened down that side again, opting to fire with her favoured right foot as her shot went harmlessly wide of the near post.

Enfield gradually gained a foothold in the contest and had a header from a corner go wide of the near post.
It was quite even by halftime with Nicola Henman’s effort that was saved after a fluid move involving McKay and Steph Gale the most presentable opportunity for either side.

Henman was prominent after the restart as well, bending her shot wide of the far post when Gale’s reverse pass had picked her out.

She then dragged her shot wide as the ball broke favourably for her on the penalty spot before turning provider when her volleyed cross found McKay, who proceeded to flick the ball onto her own head and away for a goal kick.
The hosts were in control and just required a bit more quality in the final third to break the deadlock; Baker introduced debutant Kim Farrow as well as striker Joanne Rutherford in pursuit of a decisive goal.

Dionne Manning’s attempt with the outside of her right boot curled agonisingly astray of the left-hand post and Rutherford’s volley seemed to loop for an age before finally rebounding off the post.

The two then combined as Manning cross was met by Rutherford, who glanced towards the bottom corner only to be denied by the keeper as she got down expertly to her right.

It meant the points were shared in a result certainly more pleasing for the visitors than the home side, who were unfortunate not to claim all three points. There’s a fortnight’s break from league action now as we travel to AFC Dunstable Ladies in the FA Cup next Sunday, KO 2pm.

Baker said after the game “Today was very frustrating. We had 37 attempts at goal and our goalkeeper didn’t touch the ball for the first 13 minutes. Credit to Enfield, they were tough to break down and made it difficult for us. A positive from today was two players making their debut, 16-year old Charlotte Motto and Kim Farrow signed from Leicester City. Kim is a great addition to us bringing with her super league experience. We are looking forward to next week’s FA Cup game now”.